- 2-3 Fuji apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 Red Onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 Tomatillos, Cleaned and sliced
- 2-3 Serrano peppers, sliced
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
Combine apples, lime juice and salt.
Combine rest of ingredients, set aside in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Black bean puree
- 1/4 dried black beans
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole tomato
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 jalapenos, whole
Combine all ingredients in a stock pot.
Bring water to a boil.
Lower heat to a simmer, for 45 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaves.
Remove all vegetables and blend with about a 1/2 cup of bean liquid. Stir blended mixture back into the bean pot. Continue cooking on low until beans are tender, about 20 minutes more.
Remove pot from heat.
Blend beans and cooking liquid until smooth, adding water as needed.
How to Make a Sope
- Roll 2 oz of corn masa into a ball.
- Flatten ball with your palm, creating a small tortilla.
- Cook on medium-high griddle until both sides are brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and make indentations with fingertips about 1/4inch from the edges, along the whole tortilla.
- Push the outer edges of the tortilla toward the indentation, creating a wall along the edges. Finish cooking sope by baking in a 300 °F oven for about 5 minutes.
How to Build a Sope:
Top sope with a black bean puree, apple slaw, and crumbled queso fresco.